Monday, August 24, 2015

Max Payne (2008)

  Ok, this is not going to be a popular opinion but I don't care, it's my blog and I'll say what I want.

I liked this movie.  I've seen it like three times now and I still like this movie.

Max Payne (Mark Wahlberg) is a cop looking for the men who murdered his wife and baby.  The trail keeps leading him to people bearing the same wing tattoo, including a Russian prostitute named Natasha (Olga Kurylenko).  When Natasha ends up hacked to death in an alley, her sister Mona (Mila Kunis) figures Max for the killer, but it doesn't take long for her to see that they both want the same thing.  Together, they discover the connection between the victims and a psychopath named Lupino (Amaury Nolasco) is a drug called Valkyr.

The connections in this movie are stupidly obvious for anyone with the barest knowledge of Norse mythology.  Also, very early on, one drug addict drops a vial with the name of the evil corporation written on the side.  This is not high-brow fare.  I can't speak to its status as a video game adaptation since I never played it but I'm guessing from the lack of sequel development or any positive comments that it missed the mark.

None of that means anything to me.  What I really enjoyed were the visuals.  Yes, we've seen that leached noir color palette before, but I thought it worked here.  I also really liked the visual representations of the drug's hallucinatory effects.  I'm a sucker for angels and demons and the like so I was down to drink the kool-aid.  I also really like the scene where Chris O'Donnell gets punched in the face a bunch of times.  I don't know why.  I don't have anything against the man.  I just think it's entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment