Sunday, August 2, 2015

The Fox and the Hound (1981)

The Fox and the Hound.jpg  I swear, I thought this movie was made way earlier than 1981.  It is such a throwback to old-style Disney movies in style and animation that I was shocked when I looked it up in IMDb.

Orphaned by hunters as a kit, Tod (Keith Coogan and Mickey Rooney) is raised by the Widow Tweed (Jeanette Nolan), a human woman, and Big Mama (Pearl Bailey), an owl.  On the farm next to the widow's, a hunter named Amos Slade (Jack Albertson) lives with his dogs, Chief (Pat Buttram) and Copper (Corey Feldman and Kurt Russell).  Copper and Tod are the same age and enjoy playing together but Amos Slade is determined to turn Copper into a hunting hound.  After an accident where Chief is injured, the blame falls on Tod and the widow decides to set him free in a game preserve.  But protected land is no deterrent to the vindictive Slade.

This was never my favorite of the Disney collection.  It's under-characterized, there aren't any musical bits to speak of, and it's a highly simplistic storyline.  I know there are people who really love it, though, so I guess I'm in the minority.  It just never grabbed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment