Monday, August 31, 2015

Megamind (2010)

I enjoyed this more the second time than the first.  It just goes to show how your preconceptions really do color your experiences.  I didn't expect to like this so it had to really work hard to win me over originally.  But, because I did end up liking it, I was much more kindly disposed toward it a second time.  That seems to be happening to me more and more lately.  I would like to think that it's because I'm growing more open and more willing to take chances on things but I can't say that for sure.  It could also mean that I'm getting lazier and more willing to just be entertained than analyze a movie for structure and content.

I already posted a synopsis of the film's plot below, so I don't have anything to add on that point, but I did find myself paying more attention to the details this time around.  Minion (David Cross) specifically stood out to me as the comic centerpiece.  A lot of the truly funny interactions are between him and Megamind.  Also, the backgrounds of Megamind's evil lair and Metro Man's secret hideout probably hold a ton of Easter eggs that bear closer scrutiny.  All these little things add up to a film that can be re-watched without causing the watcher to want to claw their eyes out.  Originally posted:  16 Jul 2012    Rob's birthday was on Saturday so he got to pick the movie (it was his turn anyway but I'm not going to remind him of that).  He picked Megamind. 

Megamind (Will Ferrell) is an alien who was sent to Earth after his planet was destroyed.  Unfortunately, another baby alien who was much cuter and much more popular also ended up on the planet, taking the name Metro Man (Brad Pitt).  The two become bitter rivals, especially over the affections of intrepid reporter Roxanne (Tina Fey) by kidnapping and rescuing, respectively.  One day, however, Megamind actually manages to succeed in killing his arch-rival and then takes over Metro City.  Sadly, a life of quiet dictatorship turns out to be boring so Megamind schemes to replace his nemesis by turning Roxanne's camera guy Hal (Jonah Hill) into the superhero Titan.  Much like many of his plans, however, things don't exactly work out.

I'm always a fan of when the bad guys win and I think this is a cute little movie.  Not as good as Despicable Me but still a fun, innocuous film suitable for all ages.  I am not a fan of Will Ferrell or of Jonah Hill but they didn't annoy me as much as I thought they would.  I guess I really just hate their stupid faces and not everything about them, like I previously assumed.  Also, Tina Fey has a really sultry voice.  I don't really know anything about her since I've never watched any of her TV shows and the only movie I've seen with her in it was Baby Mama, which was retarded.  All the other actors were very distinctive but if Rob hadn't told me that it was Tina Fey I wouldn't have known til the credits rolled.

No comments:

Post a Comment