Saturday, October 29, 2016

AEon Flux (2005)

I found a blu-ray copy for $5 on Amazon so I picked it up.  I'm growing to like Charlize Theron more and more as an actress.  I think this is one of those movies that I grow fonder of each time I watch it.  Concepts of immortality are also more meaningful to me as I age and look around me at all the cool things that I'll never get to see because there just aren't enough hours in the day.  Originally posted 01 Dec 2012.    I think this movie got a bad rap for no good reason.  This is the second, maybe third, time I've seen it so I'm pretty secure in this opinon.  It's not a terrible movie.

I didn't get cable until the mid-90's and I was never much of a TV watcher as a kid so I missed all the shows MTV made popular back in the day like Daria, which I think I would have liked based on the few episodes I did see, and Beavis and Butthead, which I'm sure I would have hated.  I never saw the original cartoon which Wikipedia tells me is based on the Gnostic notion of an Æon – emanations of God – specifically the Valentinian notion of a syzygy, a sexually complementary pair of emanations, here the two main characters.

Whoa.

Since I don't know what the hell any of that has to do with a leather-clad assassin chick, I'm just going to focus on the movie. 

Aeon Flux (Charlize Theron) is an assassin for a covert group called The Monicans.  She is assigned to kill the head of the last city on Earth, the scientist Trevor Goodchild (Marton Csokas) but finds herself overcome with strange pseudo-memories.  She decides to investigate the issue for herself and uncovers a much larger secret.

The CGI is a little heavy, especially with some of the plant-based defenses (like the bladed grass) but I've seen much worse.  It's a little overacted by Theron and a little underacted by Csokas but again, I've seen so much worse. 

It's at least an interesting take on an animated world and, while I'm not in a rush to own it, is totally worth a look.

2 comments:

  1. Imma count this as a win for team Christy. 3-52...still losing though...hhrruumph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep trying, pookie! The more movies you force on me, the greater chance you have of some sick Stockholm Syndrome response.

    ReplyDelete