Saturday, October 22, 2016

The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl (2005)

  Robert Rodriguez is the only director I know who can be thoroughly entertaining using only nepotism and terrible CGI.  This movie is just about awful in every respect and yet still watchable.

Max (Cayden Boyd) is a highly imaginative boy who uses his dreams to escape from reality, writing them all down in his dream journal.  His two major creations are Sharkboy (Taylor Lautner) and Lavagirl (Taylor Dooley) who live on Planet Drool.  His teacher (George Lopez) is concerned Max is losing touch with reality and the school bully (Jacob Davich) takes the opportunity to ruin Max's dream journal.  Then Sharkboy and Lavagirl show up at the school because Planet Drool is in danger from a new evil and only Max can save it.

This is basically a shittier version of The Neverending Story.  It's based on Rodriguez's son's actual dream journal and characters and all three of his sons have small parts.  I didn't see the Avellan twins or Danny Trejo so maybe they were busy that day.  It was intended for 3D viewing with a lot of the stock things being thrown at the camera.  As an adult, I would never watch this again but I can see how it would be popular with kids.  I'm giving the copy I have to my godchildren.  In a couple of years, I think they'll really enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment