Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The Addams Family (1991)

The Addams Family.jpg  For whatever reason, posting on Monday has become really hard for me.  I'm doing my best and I want to thank everyone who keeps reading.

The Addams' are incredibly rich and incredibly weird.  Their accountant, Tully (Dan Hedaya), dreads the constant playful attempts on his life by Gomez (Raul Julia) and schemes to find a way to destroy them and take their money.  His opportunity comes in the form of mother-son loan sharks Abigail (Elizabeth Wilson) and Gordon Craven (Christopher Lloyd).  Gordon looks strikingly like Gomez's long-lost brother, Fester.  With a few cosmetic changes, Gordon infiltrates the Addams household in order to locate the vault of treasure but not everyone in the family believes in Fester's miraculous return.

I forgot how much I loved this movie.  I think it gets overshadowed in my mind by the sequel, which is amazing, but this was truly a fantastic movie.  I think it really deserves to be called a classic if only because it is one of the very rare TV shows adapted into a movie that doesn't suck.  Part of that success comes from casting.  I don't think anyone else could have played Morticia Addams like Anjelica Huston.  The only thing that really dates the film is the end credit song, which is a rap by MC Hammer.  Otherwise, this is just as perfect today as it was in 1991.

No comments:

Post a Comment