Monday, August 5, 2019

Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)

I've been trying to watch Arrow and I finally made it through season five.  Then I hit a wall so I took a break to re-watch Ant-Man and the Wasp.  I still think this is one of the best entries in the MCU because it never tries to overreach and make Ant-Man more than he is.  He is a friendly, neighborhood insect-oriented superhero and that's exactly how he should stay.  Originally posted 7/22/18.    I know several people who are just Marvel-ed out.  It's understandable.  There are currently fifteen more projects either in development or in talks on top of the twenty already released.  Not counting the TV shows on Netflix, ABC, Freeform or other streaming platforms.  We are inundated with superhero content.

Personally, I love it.  I have been down for every Marvel movie and have tried (and mostly failed) to stay current with all the shows.  This is my life now.  As long as Marvel keeps cranking out quality content, I will be there to watch it.

Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) has been on house arrest for the two years following Captain America:  Civil War.  He no longer has any connection to Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) or Hope Van Dyne (Evangeline Lily) and is mostly just trying to bide his time and contribute to his new business venture with his buddy, Luis (Michael Pena).  Then, a strange dream about the quantum realm prompts him to reach out to Hank and Hope.  They arrange an elaborate kidnapping in order to get him out of the house, and inform him that they have built a quantum tunneler that they believe will allow them to access the quantum realm safely and locate Janet Van Dyne (Michelle Pfeiffer), Hope's lost mother.  The only problem is that the part they need to finalize the device is being held by an unscrupulous businessman (Walton Goggins).  Oh, and there's a former S.H.I.E.L.D. operative named Ghost (Hannah John-Kamen) who is being slowly destroyed by quantum energy and thinks the only way to save herself is to drain Janet Van Dyne dry.

This is the perfect antidote to Infinity War's depressing ending.  (Until the mid-credits sequence, which was UNNECESSARY and CRUEL.)  If you just needed a little pick-me-up, Ant-Man is your guy.

On a slightly related note, I'm thinking that I'm going to do a Marvel rewatch starting the first weekend in August and going until it's done.  I've been toying with this idea for a while now but the timing has never been really right.  Graduating college took more out of me than I had initially realized and I'm only just now starting to feel up to resuming my normal load of movies and TV.  I appreciate all of you faceless Internet dwellers for giving me a shot and sticking by me through these lean content months.

No comments:

Post a Comment