Monday, May 18, 2020

Hale County This Morning, This Evening (2018)

  I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but I'm originally from Alabama, albeit a different county than in this documentary.  It's still very similar and monumentally depressing to think that nothing has changed in the nearly three decades since I grew up there.

RaMell Ross is a photographer and basketball coach who spends five years filming the lives of contemporary African Americans in the deep South.  He specifically follows Daniel, a young man looking to a basketball scholarship to escape from poverty, and Quincy, a young father worried about making enough money to feed and raise his children.

It reminded me a lot of Terence Malick's Tree of Life, by which I mean I fucking hated watching it.  There are long stretches of background conversation over montages of the night sky, the morning sky, smoke in sunlight.  Very poetic.  I fast forwarded through a lot of it.  I don't like poetry.  Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as every other documentary about poverty.  Look, maybe Southern Tragedy Tone Poems are your thing.  If so, it's currently streaming on Amazon Prime.  It was not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment