Sunday, May 3, 2020

W.E. (2011)

  I hate character dramas.  I hate romantic dramas even more.  There was nothing I liked about this story.  I have never given a shit about Wallis Simpson and Edward VIII and I was never the waiting-for-Prince-Charming kind of girl.

Wally Winthrop (Abbie Cornish) pines away in the 1998 Sotheby's exhibit of paraphernalia relating to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor as an escape from her unhappy marriage.  She imagines what life was like for Wallis (Andrea Riseborough) and David (James D'Arcy) in their courtship, scandal, and exile following the latter's abdication.

I thought this was just going to be a biopic and I wasn't prepared for the framing narrative.  '98 seems like such an oddly specific year.  I can only assume that's when the actual auction was?  If there was such a thing.  I don't feel like looking it up.

This was directed by Madonna (yes, actually Madonna) and that's fine.  It's competent without being show-offy, which is more than I can say for Guy Ritchie.  The costumes and cinematography are top-notch.  I just found the entire thing baffling and monumentally depressing.  It's currently streaming on Netflix.

Content Warning:  domestic violence, miscarriage

No comments:

Post a Comment