Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Mirai (2018)

  I did not enjoy this movie and it's such a shame because the animation is stunning.  It just was not for me.

Kun (Moka Kamishiraishi) travels backwards and forwards in time to come to terms with the addition of little sister Mirai.

Mirai is gorgeously animated and really thoughtful about the meaning of family and how expectations can change.  Parents and people much closer to their families (or who wish they were) will probably be very moved by this film, which is streaming on Netflix right now.  It also has the option to watch in the original Japanese or the English dub but it defaults to the dub so check before you're disappointed.

I have an extremely low tolerance for children crying and I don't mean it fills me with empathy.  I leap straight to irrational anger.  There are children I like but I don't have any of my own for a reason.  So in that respect, I found this movie incredibly annoying.  It just ruined the experience for me.  But that is obviously a very specific take and there's no real reason to assume you won't like it, unless you have the exact same reaction.  Give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment