Sunday, November 15, 2020

The Missing Picture (2013)

  This was supposed to go up yesterday but I only got through 2/3 of it before I had to do a bunch of other stuff.  Wish I could say it was worth the wait, but...

Rithy Panh was a child in Cambodia when the Khmer Rouge took over.  He chronicles his painful memories using hand-carved clay figures in astonishingly detailed dioramas supplemented by historical footage of the regime.  

I watched this on the Criterion Channel and I'm actually really annoyed about it.  There was no option for closed captioning or to watch in the original French with subtitles.  The English narrator (Jean-Baptiste Phou) has a very heavy accent and the film was extremely hard to hear.  It sucks because this was a really important story for this man to tell and treating the film like this is disrespectful.

No comments:

Post a Comment