Sunday, September 12, 2021

Doctor Sleep (2019)

  As is traditional, when I went home for a visit, I watched horror movies with Christy.  We saw The Conjuring 3, which she had not seen, and Doctor Sleep, which I had not seen.  I'm not a big Stephen King fan anyway, and The Shining is one of my least favorite horror movies, but I recognize that it is iconic and a lot of people love it.

Danny Torrence (Ewan McGregor) survived the Overlook Hotel but was forever marked.  He slips through adulthood a chronically unemployed alcoholic, hounded by ghosts drawn to his psychic ability until washing up in Rhode Island, near another powerful psychic named Abra (Kyliegh Curran).  Even though Danny and Abra have never met, they are psychic pen pals and Danny is able to find some measure of peace.  Until Abra receives a vision from a young psychic boy being brutally murdered by a cult of energy vampires led by Rose the Hat (Rebecca Ferguson).  Now she is the cult's new target and Danny must reach back into his past to find the tools to save them both.

It's an okay movie.  I would say it's a decent sequel considering that I didn't like the original all that much.  I think they did the best they could with it, even if they did overuse the bathtub ghost.  And frankly, I blame Ready Player One for that shit.  It's currently streaming on HBO Max.

No comments:

Post a Comment