Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Scare-a-Thon 2021 Day 20: The Walking Dead season 4 (2013)

  Ah, The Walking Dead.  The show that bravely continues to ask "what if the worst people you know were the only survivors of an apocalypse?"  I actually started watching this between Maggie and It Follows and I had all sorts of jokes about zombies ganging up on you but it took so long to get through the season, I had to stop for a bit and watch movies instead.

Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) has made a home for himself and a thriving community for people in the prison of season 3 and hopes to basically retire from leadership so he can focus on raising crops and attaining a small measure of peace.  A virulent strain of flu and the return of an old enemy put paid to that idea and soon the full cast is split into twos and threes, each group trying to make their way to a mysterious beacon called Terminus.

The first half of the season was fine but as soon as they brought back The Governor (David Morrissey) I lost all interest.  The second half I just started fast forwarding through anything I found boring.  There are a lot of speeches in this show and a lot of people staring meaningfully at each other.  I just find it harder and harder to care about any of the characters.  If I want to see a bunch of depressed, traumatized people wracked with survivor's guilt, I could just go to the VFW.  

It's currently streaming on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment