Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Scare-a-Thon 2021 Day 5: American Horror Story: Coven (2013)

 Yes, I'm including TV this year.  There are a ton of horror shows and frankly, I'd never get to any of them if I just waited.  Unfortunately, this one sucked.

Zoe (Taissa Farmiga) is a young girl who's just learned she comes from a line of witches.  She is packed off to an exclusive boarding school in New Orleans for other witches, run by Cordelia Fox (Sarah Paulson).  Delia's mother, Fiona (Jessica Lange), is the Witch Supreme, but despairs over her own mortality until she hears about Madame LaLaurie (Kathy Bates), a woman cursed with everlasting life as a punishment for her cruelty.  Fiona decides to track down Marie Laveau (Angela Bassett), who laid down the curse, and cajole/threaten/bribe/bully her into putting it on Fiona.

Honestly, I only made it two episodes before giving up.  I've now tried to watch three seasons of this anthology and I couldn't make it to episode three on any of them.  I just don't get the point of this kitchen sink approach to storytelling.  It's not shocking or horrifying.  There's no humor.  I was incredibly bored and I hated all of the characters.  Also, the first episode centers on a gang rape, which is unnecessary and gross.  

For some ungodly reason, this is streaming on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.  I don't get the appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment