Saturday, October 9, 2021

Scare-a-Thon 2021 Day 9: ABCs of Death 2 (2014)

  Same concept as the first ABCs of Death: 26 directors each make a horror short for a letter of the alphabet to wildly varying degrees of quality.  Out of 26, I only liked nine of them.  Which is better than the first movie, actually.

I'm not going to run down the plots of all 26 shorts.  I'm just going to give you the highlights.  "D is for Deloused" is probably the most genuinely horrific of all of them.  Very Cronenberg type of vibes.  There were a handful of funny ones ("A is for Amateur", "B is for Badger", "I is for Invincible"), and others that thought they were funny but were just dumb ("P is for P-P-P-Scary").  There were the inevitable gross-out ones, a couple of good concept, bad execution ("L is for Legacy", "W is for Wish"), and some that were just boring.  I've not yet found an anthology that was all winners.  I will say that it is a diverse crop of filmmakers and I appreciated the different cultures on display.  

It's streaming on Tubi, Vudu, and PlutoTV, all three with commercials, but only Tubi didn't have ad breaks after every segment (Vudu), or in the middle of segments (PlutoTV).  If you're interested in finding new horror directors, this is not a bad place to start.


No comments:

Post a Comment