Thursday, October 7, 2021

Scare-a-Thon 2021 Day 7: Maniac (2012)

  This is a remake of a 1980 film of the same name that I've never seen.  Usually, I try to watch the original first but sometimes I just don't get to it for various reasons.  This is one of those times.

Frank (Elijah Woods) restores antique mannequins by day and hunts woman as a serial killer by night.  He meets Anna (Nora Arnezeder), an artist who is doing a gallery show featuring mannequins.  It is love at first sight.  For Frank.  Anna is just trying to create art.  Frank is looking for a substitute for his mother and trying to overcome his deep-seated fears of becoming a mannequin himself.  Sigmund Freud has a lot to answer for.

The film is shot mostly first-person.  You only see Frank in reflections and delusions, which I thought might be kind of irritating but works surprisingly well.  I love Elijah Wood in horror.  He's great in every single project he picks but I especially love that he chooses a lot of genre fare.  

I was all geared up to talk about how the nudity is gratuitous but the more I think about it, the more it leads back to the mannequin angle.  For Frank, there's no difference, although that could just be the amount of bug spray he inhales.  

Unfortunately, this is not streaming (for free) but you can rent it from Google Play or Amazon Prime.  I got it on disc from Netflix.



No comments:

Post a Comment