Monday, February 21, 2022

Being the Ricardos (2021)

Nominated for Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actor    Happy Presidents' Day.  Here's a completely unrelated movie.

Lucille Ball (Nicole Kidman) and Desi Arnaz (Javier Bardem) are TV's biggest power couple.  Their show, I Love Lucy, is watched by 60 million people a week.  But they are not immune to bad press.  One fateful week, two news stories drop at the same time:  a tabloid piece claiming that Desi is stepping out and a radio allusion by Walter Winchell that Lucy is a Communist.  Twenty years ago, Lucy checked the box for the Communist Party on her voter registration as a tribute to her pro-union grandpa who raised her.  Not a big deal until it is.  Facing these twin fronts, they also have five days to prep an episode before live filming before a studio audience.

I kept reading that this was bad, that especially Bardem was bad in it and it's not?  It's fine??  The dialogue is very lively and sharp and the pacing is quick.  Personally, I think Bardem was a little too hardened for Arnaz; I would have liked to see the juxtaposition between a more baby-faced actor and how badass Desi had to be.  I just think the contrast would have been more striking.  But it's fine.  Kidman is fine.  Bardem is fine.  I don't know that either will win but that's just me.  I do feel like J.K. Simmons shouldn't have been nominated.  If anybody was going to get a nod for supporting in this film, it should have been Tony Hale.  Simmons is great, don't get me wrong, but this was not the role to garner a nomination.

Being the Ricardos is streaming on Amazon Prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment