Saturday, February 5, 2022

Better Days (2019)

  This was a nominee from last year's Oscars.  I tried to watch it back in the spring when it was on Hulu but it was relentlessly depressing and I couldn't take it.  But I gave it another chance because I hate myself I don't like DNF'ing.  If I don't finish a movie, I don't review it, which means that it was a waste of my time.  I hate wasting my time.

Content Warning:  suicide, bullying, assault of a minor

Chen Nian (Zhou Dongyu) is one of hundreds of students at a prep school for college exams.  It's already a high-pressure environment but a clique of bullies, led by Wei Lai (Zhou Ye), make it even worse.  Nian strikes a deal with low-level criminal Bei (Jackson Yee) for protection on her way to and from school in exchange for a favor to be named later.  Their bond deepens but before they can make any real plans for the future, Wei Lai turns up murdered.  

Okay, so this is bullying, but like, Sissy Spacek being doused with pig's blood bullying.  Not "how's the weather up there, Stretch?" bullying.  Wei Lai is just lucky nobody in Hong Kong has telekinesis.  Anyway, the movie is extremely depressing and the violence is all teens vs other teens (so, children) which is also hard to watch.  The score is pretty, though.  It's a very earnest film, which comes across a little like a Very Special Episode PSA about bullying, but I think it means well.  It finishes with some mid-credits statistics about measures implemented to curb bullying and harassment in real life so stick around for a couple of minutes after The End.  

It might still be streaming on Hulu but I watched it on disc from Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment