Sunday, February 20, 2022

The Lost Daughter (2021)

Nominated for Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Adapted Screenplay      I'll tell you flat out:  I didn't get this movie.  Not a single thing in it made sense to me.

Leda (Olivia Colman) is on holiday in Greece at the same spot as a large family of obnoxious Americans.  She strikes up a bond with Nina (Dakota Johnson) after helping find the latter's daughter after she wanders off.  Leda spends a great deal of time remembering what it was like when she was Nina's age, coping with an academic career and two small children.

I was so bored.  I just kept waiting for something interesting or sensical to happen and it never did.  This is the exact same movie as Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood without any of the humor or charm.  It is a slog.

Colman is wasted here.  I'd never seen Jessie Buckley in anything, but I've heard she's a rising star.  They both deserved better.  It's currently streaming on Netflix.  Maybe if you figure out what the point is, come back and tell me.



No comments:

Post a Comment