Saturday, February 12, 2022

Free Guy (2021)

Nominated for Best Visual Effects    I watched the majority of this movie when I was at home for Christmas; I just didn't finish it.  It was one Tyler was interested in, so I didn't mind re-watching it.  It's not my favorite Ryan Reynolds movie but it's cute.

Guy (Ryan Reynolds) is a background character in the open world game Free City.  He is happy, if a little lovelorn, going through his routine until he meets MolotovGirl (Jodie Comer), a player on a mission.  In real life, Millie is looking for evidence that the game code in Free City was stolen from her and her partner, Keys (Joe Keery).  She has a line on some video footage shot by a player that would confirm her suspicions but no way to get to it.  She doesn't have time for a brand-new AI following her around, but Guy quickly proves himself by leveling up without resorting to cruelty, bullying, or being a dick.  The game's designer, Antwon (Taika Watiti), is furious that a glitchy NPC is somehow tanking his pre-sales for the game's sequel and orders Guy to be destroyed.  Millie and Keys have 48 hrs to prove Antwon stole their code before Guy's whole world is vaporized.

Like I said, it's cute.  It's not super-revolutionary but it's a damn sight better than Ready Player One.  There are a bunch of famous YouTubers making cameos (I assume.  I'm old and I don't watch YouTube.) and a couple of celebrities hiding out in the credits.  Channing Tatum in particular looks like he's having the time of his life.  

My main issue is that Ryan Reynolds is playing a version of the same character he's played in the last six movies he's been in.  It's basically just shades of Deadpool.  I get it.  People love that.  It's just starting to wear a little thin for me.

The visual effects are omnipresent and they are very pretty.  It does look fake but it's supposed to be fake so I don't know its chances.  It's coming to Hulu and HBO Max on 18 Feb if you want to check it out at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment