Monday, August 21, 2023

The Brand New Testament (2015)

  Content warning:  physical child abuse (off-screen but audible), child endangerment, bestiality

God (Benoit Poelvoorde) is an abusive alcoholic who lives in Brussels with his wife (Yolande Moreau) and daughter, Ea (Pili Groyne).  Fed up with his pety dictatorship, Ea sabotages his computer and escapes to the outside world to find her own apostles and write a brand new testament.

This reminded me a lot of Amélie, but a little darker.  Same kind of cute fantastical mixed with mundane.  It does portray the Christian God as a total asshole, which might put some people off, but I thought it was funny.  Not for the faint of heart, I guess I'm saying, and that's before Catherine Deneuve has sex with a gorilla.  It's currently streaming on Kanopy.

Things I've DNF'd this week:  Go (1999), Sliver (1998), season 3 of Once Upon a Time, and The Reader (2008).  I gave all the movies 30 minutes and the TV show three episodes but I couldn't find any of them compelling enough to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment