Sunday, August 6, 2023

Your Name (2016)

  Second movie club pick for this week.  Make sure you brush your teeth afterwards because this one's sweet enough to give you a cavity.

Taki (Ryunosuke Kamiki) and Mitsuha (Mone Kamishiraishi) don't know each other.  He lives in Tokyo and she lives in a rural town called Itomori.  But that doesn't stop them from switching bodies while they sleep.  The switch occurs randomly and both teens must figure out how to not wreck each others' lives while also discovering what is causing this.

You may have heard that there's a big twist.  It's not super-big but I'm not going to spoil it because it is important to the story.  You may also have heard that this emotionally wrecks people.  I can see that.  But I'm pretty sure that was the part where I yelled "Idiot!  You had one job!" at my TV so I'm not the best source on that one.  

It's beautifully animated, the music is good, and the voice acting is believable.  If I thought the story was mid, that's on me.  It's currently streaming on Crunchyroll but only with a premium subscription.  Might be worth a rental depending on how interested you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment