Saturday, December 2, 2023

Absolutely Anything (2015)

  Another Tyler pick!  I hadn't even heard of this one.  

Self-styled Galactic Supreme Beings (John Cleese, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, and Terry Gillam) give a random human (Simon Pegg) the power to do absolutely anything as a test of whether humans can join their ranks or be annihilated.  Neil, a thoroughly average British school teacher, immediately gives his dog the power of speech (Robin Williams), makes his boss (Suzy Izzard listed as Eddie Izzard) more agreeable, and tries to make his hot neighbor (Kate Beckinsale) like him.  But when her psycho ex (Rob Riggle) finds out, Neil must use his unexplained powers for evil.

This was mostly cute.  I found parts annoying and there was a dick joke that made me roll my eyes so hard I think I sprained one, but it was pretty entertaining on balance.  Pegg has always excelled at the Everyman Forced to Deal with Things role and Riggle plays Insane American very well.  It was nice to see Beckinsale just kind of relaxed and not running from werewolves or whatever.  Could have used more Izzard and more Joanna Lumley.  I feel like if you're going to have them in the cast, they should get more than three lines each.  

It's currently streaming on Starz if you want a low-stakes comedy and also to feel sad about Robin Williams again.

No comments:

Post a Comment