Sunday, January 14, 2024

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)

  I am so mad nobody showed this to me as a child.  I mean, yes, I had To Wong Foo, but I would also have liked some Australian drag.  Content warning:  homophobia, gay bashing

Tick (Hugo Weaving) gets a call to perform a cabaret show in Alice Springs, New South Wales, and recruits his two best friends, a transwoman former showgirl who has been recently widowed, Bernadette (Terrence Stamp), and a young, hyper-energetic drag queen, Adam (Guy Pearce), to join him on a cross-country drive through the desert.  But mechanical problems see them stranded far from the cosmopolitan embrace of Sydney and Tick's secrets begin to come to light.

This is such a wholesome movie.  It was like a glittery, marabou feather, rhinestone-encrusted balm to my little dark soul.  If you've only ever seen Weaving, Stamp, and Pearce in their villain roles (Agent Smith/Red Skull, General Zod, that one guy from Count of Monte Cristo/that one guy from Iron Man 3, respectively), you owe it to yourself to see how vulnerable and open they could be here.  It's streaming on Kanopy but this is a must-buy for me.

Also, there is apparently a musical based on the film and once again, I am wondering why I had to find that out for myself and no one told me.  What else are you hiding?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment