Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)

  Based on the classic Dumas revenge tale, Edmond Dantes (Jim Caviezel) is just a sailor with the world laid out ahead of him until his childhood friend Fernand, Count Mondego (Guy Pearce) has him arrested for treason and then steals his woman (Dagmara Dominczyk).  Inside the hellish prison Isle d'If, Dantes meets Abbe Faria (Richard Harris), a priest who gives him a decent education as they dig a tunnel to freedom.  The priest even reveals the location of a secret treasure.  Dantes plans to use the treasure to mete his revenge but gets press-ganged into a pirate crew just after escaping.  After sixteen years total of being away, Dantes enters Parisian society as the mysterious Count of Monte Cristo in order to bring ruin to his enemies.  But, of course, time never stands still and he discovers the Count Mondego and his wife have had a son (Henry Cavill).  

I found this to be much more enjoyable this time around.  I remember not liking it very much when I first saw it because I didn't think Jim Caviezel had any charisma.  After two seasons of Person of Interest, he's grown on me.  And this time I actually recognize Henry Cavill.  Overall, it's a solid effort and one I'm glad was redeemed by time.

No comments:

Post a Comment