Wednesday, October 16, 2024

31 Days of 2024 Horror - Day 16 - Exhuma (2024)

  This is a really good year for ghost stories!  Content warning:  dead animals, blood, some gore, infant in distress

A wealthy Korean ex-pat (Kim Jae-cheol) believes his family line is cursed so he hires a shaman (Kim Go-eun) and her team to cremate his grandfather's remains.  The team geomancer (Choi Min-sik) is deeply disturbed by the gravesite, which is nameless and alone atop a mountain, and the more the team digs into both the literal and metaphorical dirt surrounding the family, the more danger they find.

I love seeing the intersection of folklore and funerary rites.  I think it's fascinating.  So this movie felt tailor-made for me and I cannot be reasonable in my enjoyment of it.  Also, it's always great to see Choi Min-sik in stuff.  

There is a lot of Korean history wrapped up in this that may or may not send you down a rabbit hole of research, depending on your familiarity.  I have a very shallow background in Asian history but I didn't find it hard to follow.  It just made me want to learn more and isn't that all you can ask for from your horror movies?

Anyway, it's so so good and I highly recommend checking it out.  It's streaming exclusively on Shudder but I'm planning on buying this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment