Patrick Dennis (Jan Handzlik) is orphaned and sent to live with his eccentric Aunt Mame (Rosalind Russell), who welcomes him with open arms. She wants Patrick to see and experience all the things the world has to offer but is hampered by the very stringent Mr. Babcock (Fred Clark), executor of Patrick's trust. Mr. Babcock has strict instructions from the will that Patrick be sent to only approved schools and have only approved associations. Mame's friends --actors, nudists, writers, musicians-- don't meet this criteria. Over the vagaries of fortunes, Mame fights to retains custody of her nephew and keep him from being curtailed by a restricted future.
I never realized how much The Birdcage owed to Auntie Mame. Basically, the entire last act is the same. Which is not to suggest that both are not great. They are distinct and each has incredible performances. It was just when I noticed it, I couldn't stop seeing it.
Russell is magnetic as the flamboyant Mame, even though I personally prefer the musical. The costumes and set design are fantastic and practical, as they show the passage of time through the interior design and fashion choices Mame makes. Message-wise, it's timeless. Love triumphs over small-mindedness. Also money. Money is pretty triumphant in this. Unfortunately, it's not streaming anywhere so you'll have to either rent or buy but it's absolutely worth the money.
No comments:
Post a Comment