Max (Jason Bateman) and Annie (Rachel McAdams) host a weekly game night for their friends while trying to duck their creepy next-door neighbor, Gary (Jesse Plemmons). Max is extremely competitive but constantly feels like he's in the shadow of his rich brother, Brooks (Kyle Chandler). Brooks hosts a game night, promising a wild time with an incredible prize: whoever can solve a mystery kidnapping will win Max's dream car. Then masked men break in and take Brooks. Max and Annie are determined to win and track Brooks' phone, hoping to get ahead of their friends, only to find that the kidnapping is real and Brooks has been leading a very different life than they thought.
I could tell this was a comedy because I recognized what the characters said were jokes, but at no point did I find this funny. All the characters were pretty grating, except Rachel McAdams and Sharon Horgan, one because she can do no wrong and the other because she was the only normal one. I also found the pacing off. Again, I could tell that the structure of the film was meant to layer the jokes so it was like twist on twist, ramping up while building off the jokes that came previously; I just didn't think it was funny, so everything got more and more irritating and tiresome.
A misfire for me but maybe not for you, as a lot of people apparently really liked it. It's currently streaming on HBO Max.
No comments:
Post a Comment