Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Salt (2010)

  You know what? I feel bad for this movie. It's not doing so hot in the theaters and that's not it's fault. If it had come out a couple of weeks earlier, say, opposite Knight and Day, I think it would have made a killing. It's just not able to stand up to Inception. It's like having a sibling who's a genius. Nobody cares if you won the science fair because your big sister just invented cold fusion.

Salt has its share of problems, chief of which is the shaky-cam. You know how much I hate that style but it wasn't completely over-used here. Just enough to give a sense of frenetic action. Still, that will keep me from recommending people see it in theater. Wait for the rental, just to avoid any motion sickness.

I'm pretty sure this will go onto my "Buy" list, though. It's a good movie. I read on the interwebs that the part of Evelyn Salt was originally supposed to be Edwin Salt and it was being shopped as a star vehicle for Tom Cruise, amongst others. I tried to keep that in mind as I watched Angelina Jolie and I was not disappointed. I could just have easily seen a dude play that role. They didn't dumb it down or pretty it up just because it happened to star one of the world's most attractive women. (I say one of the world's most because I'm not going to get into that whole Jolie vs. Aniston thing, but for the record: Jolie by a mile.)
No contest.

1 comment:

  1. ....soooo.....what I am understanding from your post...the movie was watchable, and you wanna make-out with Angelina Jolie...ok, I got it. /thumbs up

    ReplyDelete