Monday, July 11, 2011

The Blind Side (2009)

  I wasn't sure if I was going to like this movie, despite the Oscar win, and the fact that my mom recommended it.  Every once in a while she knocks one out of the park but mostly the nicest thing I can say is that they were okay.

This one was better than I thought it would be, though.  For one, it was a lot funnier.  Usually, when Sandra Bullock does comedy it's the stupid slapstick kind but she's better than that.  She seems like a naturally funny woman so even when she does a drama she can imbue the character with a lot of humor. Plus I was kind of surprised how good Tim McGraw was in this.  Granted, he just had to be easy-going and tolerant of Sandra Bullock's character but he's not an actor by trade and I had a hard time remembering that he was actually a singer.

Anyway, this is about a guy named Michael Oher (pronounced like oar) who grew up in the projects and  managed to get sponsored into a private Christian school in Memphis due to his athletic abilities.  That's all well and good but not really enough since he owns one change of clothes and is effectively homeless.   Enter Leigh Anne Tuohy, an interior decorator whose husband owns 85 Taco Bells.  She takes Michael into her household and raises him alongside her other two children.

This is based on a true story which I probably would have already known if I cared at all about football.  Oher grows up to play for the Baltimore Ravens.  I don't know if that's a good team or not but it's a professional one which means he's probably a millionaire by now.  Rags to Riches.  Can't beat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment