Saturday, February 23, 2013

Maggie Simpson in The Longest Daycare (2012)

Nominated for:  Best Animated Short    Finally!  I can knock this one off the list.  I'm actually kind of pissed I had to go through so much trouble for it considering that it's only 4 minutes long and not really worth the effort.  If I had to run around to four different sites for Paperman that would have been different. 

Maggie Simpson is carted off to the Ayn Rand Daycare, which might be funny if I had actually read anything by Ayn Rand.  She just wants to play with butterflies but a creepily-unibrowed baby keeps smashing them.  She finds a chrysalis and does her utmost to protect it from Evil Unibrow. 

Half of what makes The Simpsons funny are the pop culture references but the other half are the voices and without any dialogue, this movie falls kind of flat.  Maybe that's an Oscar requirement, since none of the nominees had any speaking but I found it off-putting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment