Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Iron Giant (1999)

  Man, for a kid's movie, this is pretty dark.  I missed this one growing up, mostly because I was a junior in high school when it came out.  I was more into The Matrix, not some cartoon that wasn't even made by Disney.  The only reason I added it to my Netflix queue was because it got consistantly ranked on all the "Best Children's Movies" and "Most Traumatic Childhood Movies" lists. 

A little boy named Hogarth (Eli Marienthal) finds a giant robot from space that has crash landed just outside his town.  He befriends the giant but then must keep him safe from the prying eyes of government stooge Kent Mansley (Christopher McDonald).  But what is the giant's true purpose?

I think this might be the first animated movie I've ever seen that dealt with the concept of atomic warfare.  It does it well, though.  It feels organic to the story, not heavy-handed or preachy.  Brad Bird, the director/writer, went on to make The Incredibles, and Ratatouille for Pixar so you know you're dealing with some quality work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment