Sunday, April 21, 2013

Clear and Present Danger (1994)

  My mom has always been a huge Tom Clancy fan and the last time I went home, she gave me her entire collection of his novels.  I won't have a book on my shelf until I've read it so I've been working my way through them when I get the chance.  Most recently, I finished Without Remorse, which features one of the characters (Mr. Clark) from the book this movie is based on.

It's not a bad movie but it oversimplifies the book by quite a bit.  Still, there are some nice performances and it's always interesting to see Harrison Ford play someone who isn't Han Solo or Indiana Jones.

After a yacht is found by the Coast Guard with its owners murdered and crewed only by two blood-covered men with ties to the drug cartels, the President (Donald Moffat) demands action.  His National Security Advisor, Admiral Cutter (Harris Yulin), and the CIA's Director of Operations, Bob Ritter (Henry Czerny), hatch a plan to send a covert unit of American troops into Colombia to target the cartel heads directly.  They liaise with former SEAL Mr. Clark (Willem Dafoe) to get their assets in place.  This is hugely illegal so Ritter and Cutter refuse to read Jack Ryan (Harrison Ford) onto the project, despite him filling in as Deputy Director of Intelligence.  When Ryan catches wind of what's happening while trying to find a former Russian-turned Cuban-turned Colombian spy (Joaquim de Almeida), he has to scramble to prevent all-out war, stop the cartels, and keep Ritter from burning the operation and leaving American soldiers to twist in the wind.

The age shows a great deal as politically-based movies are wont to do but it's a decent film.  I'll watch Willem Dafoe in just about anything though.

No comments:

Post a Comment