Monday, April 1, 2013

Amazing Grace (2006)

  Here's that British prequel to Lincoln you never asked for...

True story:  I started watching this before I left on my trip to Las Vegas but only got about halfway.  I didn't finish it until last night. 

William Wilberforce (Ioan Gruffudd) really wanted to be a minister but had to settle for being a Member of Parliament instead. He decides to use his influence to rid the British Empire of the scourge of slavery.  Unfortunately, the British have more on their minds than freedom for all mankind and equality and shit.  They've got uppity colonists, rumblings from France, and many, many bills to pay.  So it takes Wilburforce like 20 years.

This movie feels like a made-for-the-Hallmark-Channel piece of fluff.  It's really only notable for having Benedict Cumberbatch as the Prime Minister.  With Star Trek Into Darkness opening in a few months, I'm interested in seeing him in as many different roles as I can.

On a completely unrelated note, this will be the second consecutive weekemd I am away from home.  Currently, I am in sunny Long Beach, CA where I will be the Maid of Honor don't laugh in my friend's wedding.  I say this in the vain hope you people will cut me some slack when I once again flake out on posting.

This was supposed to have gone up on Saturday but I was trying to do it from my phone instead of a computer because I was travelling and apparently I messed up.  My bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment