Sunday, April 28, 2013

American Psycho (2000)

  The older I get, the funnier this movie is to me.  I remember the first time I saw it, which was several years after it came out.  I knew absolutely nothing about it and I was utterly confused as to what my reaction was supposed to be.  I have laughed at inappropriate things and people yelled at me.  Back then, that mattered.

Now...that shit's hilarious.  I know it's supposed to be a satire of the greed and materialism of the era that is ultimately shown to be a tissue-thin veneer over a yawning pit of despair and loss of identity.  But come on, when he drops a chainsaw on a running hooker...?  Comedy gold.

Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale) is a high-powered executive in the 80's.  Everyone is obsessed with everyone else:  how much money they make, what they're wearing, who they're sleeping with, and how much power they have.  Patrick is slightly different from his peers in that he's a psychopath who likes to brutally murder people while rocking out to Huey Lewis and the News.

This movie is awesome.  Rob had never seen it and kept wandering in during the really bloody parts.  I'm not sure he believes that it's supposed to be a dark comedy.  I have been a huge Christian Bale fan since Little Women.  And that's only because I didn't know who he was when I saw Newsies.

No comments:

Post a Comment