Monday, July 28, 2014

Con Air (1997)

  I really have been on a 90's kick lately. 

When this movie first came out, I hated it.  Cage's accent was stupid and insulting, and the whole idea was just dumb.  But it was everywhere.  I couldn't avoid seeing it on TV or with friends.  And then a funny thing happened.  I started to love this stupid, stupid movie.  It's so quotable!  And I love John Cusack, and John Malkovich, and Steve Buscemi.  Now I can't think about this movie without smiling.

Cameron Poe (Nicholas Cage) is a former Army Ranger convicted of manslaughter and sent to prison.  He pays his debt to society and is granted parole.  All he has to do is take a flight back to Alabama.  This same flight will also populate the newest supermax prison, built to hold the worst criminals in America.  Criminals like Cyrus the Virus (John Malkovich), Diamond Dog (Ving Rhames), and Garland Greene (Steve Buscemi).  U.S. Marshal Vince Larkin (John Cusack) is supervising the transfer from the ground, but is notified of a last minute change of plans.  The DEA is putting an undercover officer (Jose Zuniga) on the plane in one last attempt to get a confession from Francisco Cindino (Jesse Borrega -- who just played Zoe Saldana's dad in Colombiana), a high-ranking member of a drug cartel.

But Francisco has already made a deal with Cyrus, and the convicts almost immediately take over the plane.  Poe tries to harry and eat away from the inside while Larkin and DEA agent Duncan Malloy (Colm Meaney) scramble to recover from this upset.  There are explosions and shootouts and extremely quotable lines.  You really can't ask for more.

In TV news, I finally (finally) got around to watching season six of Doctor Who.  I am not a rabid Whovian (clearly, or I would be caught up by now) but I do enjoy the show.  Matt Smith's eyebrows bother me because they make his face look weird and if they fixed that, I think it would improve his looks dramatically.  This is the season they wrap up the River Song storyline and thank God for that.  Not that I didn't love Alex Kingston, but it was starting to get irritating.

No comments:

Post a Comment