Sunday, February 28, 2016

Youth (2015)

Nominated for Best Original Song Youth poster.jpg  Yet another horribly boring movie from the same guy who directed and wrote The Great Beauty a couple of years ago.  Based on the subject matter, I would have figured him to be 108-years-old but he's only 45.  That mid-life crisis must be kicking in like a motherfucker.

A retired composer (Michael Caine) and his best friend, a screenwriter (Harvey Keitel), go on vacation to a spa in the Swiss Alps.  The composer is bored and jaded with life, avoiding engagements and coasting on his retirement but soon becomes interested in the lives of the people around him at the hotel.

Shoot me in the head.  There was no point to this movie whatsoever.  Just boring rumination on the meaning of life, legacies, what it means to be an artist, prostate troubles, and letting go.  Also, a nude Miss Universe and an old couple fucking in the woods.  Awful.

Thankfully, this is the last entry in the Best Original Song category.  I hated the song as much as I hated the movie.  I'm pretty sure "Writing's on the Wall" is a lock for the statuette.  This year I'm going to put together an actual guess sheet and see how many I get right.  I'll post the results when I do my wrap-up of the ceremony tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment