Friday, February 5, 2010

The Cove (2009)

Nominated for: Best Documentary Feature

  Have you ever been to a water park and seen a dolphin show where they flip impossibly high in the air and do tricks? Have you ever been swimming with dolphins at a resort? Do you view dolphins as adorably funny, intelligent marvels of the sea?

Cherish those thoughts.

This is a very hard movie to watch if you have ever liked dolphins or if you're soft-hearted toward animals in general. There is graphic depiction of dolphins being slaughtered, including truly eerie audio of them in distress. As such, it's difficult to judge this movie on purely cinematographic merits. (Is that a word? I'm gonna say that's a word. SpellCheck didn't freak, so I think I'm good.)

Seriously, I'm listening to the happiest music I can find right now. (Bowling for Soup's "Sorry for Partyin'" album)

I'm not going to go on a left-wing PETA-inspired tear-filled rant about "We have to save the dolphins cuz they're beautiful!!!" That's your decision. I'm not here to advance agendas for anybody, just to review the movie.

It's a good movie. The operation to get cameras into this very restricted location is carried out like a SEAL mission. There are military-grade thermal cameras on lookout, divers sneaking into the water to plant cameras, hi-def cameras hidden in fake rocks. Whether you agree with their message or not, the Oceanic Preservation Society did a helluva job not getting arrested. So, yeah, even though I will NEVER watch this movie again, I wouldn't take it back.

I hope it wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment