Sunday, April 4, 2010

Push (2009)

  I was pretty sure this was going to be the poor man's Jumper, which was an incredibly shitty film. I avoided it like it was catching. 

Then I read an article on slashfilm that Chris Evans had gotten the part of Captain America in the upcoming movie. Suddenly, his previous work became relevant. Plus, I'm a sucker for sci-fi/fantasy, even if the premise is completely retarded.

This movie didn't suck nearly as much as I thought it would. I thought the effects were better, more polished than Jumper, and Dakota Fanning is really starting to bridge those awkward teenage years without a crippling drug addiction. Djimon Hounsou kind of phoned it in but he really wasn't in the film much so that was okay. Ming Na was excellent and I just liked the whole range of powers everyone had. It was more X-Men-lite than anything else.

Popcorn flicks are, by and large, harmless wastes of time. Every once in a while, they verge over into extremely annoying or downright insulting (Wanted) territory. Push isn't pushy; it's just a light, entertaining film that doesn't punish you for watching.

1 comment:

  1. I was completely surprised you liked this one...because I didn't...I thought the acting was crap on everyone's part EXCEPT Dakota Fanning...she was semi-awesome...so I asked myself "Self: was Lucy high?"...so...were you...high?

    ReplyDelete