Sunday, April 18, 2010

Kick-Ass (2010)

  So, in case you didn't know, Kick-Ass is one of half a dozen comic books to get the recent silver screen treatment. The Losers comes out next week, then Iron Man 2 the week after that. Hooray for summer movie season!

I had read every article I could find in preparation before I went to the movie, because I was kind of on the fence about it. I heard it being compared to Superbad and frankly, that frightened me. Then I read a film review by a conservative "family-first" type blog, (those are generally flametastic) that was spewing bile over one character in particular.

That's Chloe Moretz, who plays the foul-mouthed 11-year-old Hit Girl. When I say 'foul-mouthed' I mean SERIOUSLY foul-mouthed. Like the C bomb. Just because the movie is based on a bunch of teens doesn't mean you should take your kids to it. This ain't How to Train Your Dragon.

Hit Girl is easily the most awesome character in the movie. Her commitment never sways, there's no moral waffling; she is there for a purpose and that purpose is killin'. I wouldn't have complained if the entire movie had revolved around her instead of the title character. Still, I think you'll be content with her stealing the show every time she's on screen.

Also, the soundtrack is great. I just downloaded it this morning from iTunes but I'm sure it's somewhere more torrent-y if that's your persuasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment