Saturday, April 24, 2010

Top Hat (1935)


This is a classic Rogers/Astaire musical. Despite that, I had never seen it before tonight. I am a fan of classic musicals, and I do dearly love Fred Astaire (The Bandwagon might be my absolute favorite but don't tell Easter Parade).

I don't expect a great deal from these old musicals. Hell, this one is from before WWII. The stories tend to be very dated and 'campy' is usually the kindest thing that can be said about them. Top Hat does rely quite heavily on the mis-identification gambit, where Dale (Ginger) mistakes Jerry (Fred) for Horace (some guy who is not Fred) who is married to her friend Madge. Hijinks ensue.

I was surprised to see that the humor is still...humorous. We're talking about a 75-year-old film here. If it gets even a chuckle out of you jaded Dick in a Box types, that's a huge credit to the writers (Allen Scott and Dwight Taylor).

I will warn all you ADD types: it was made in 1935. Yeah, that's before color. Do not adjust your TV. It's supposed to look like that. You might even find that you can concentrate on the story more without being distracted by flashbombs of colors. lolwut? That's crazy talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment