Monday, April 12, 2010

The Trail of Blood (1972)

This is the first of the Mikogami trilogy by Kazuo Ikehiro. It concerns a man named Jokichi who manages to piss off a couple of yakuza bosses while getting his infected toe looked at by a tea house hostess.

It plays out better in the movie.

Anyway, he and Tea House Girl run away and have a normal life until he goes on a business trip and runs into some of the yakuza boss' goons. That's when shit goes seriously downhill for Jokichi and the ass-kicking begins.

The Netflix sleeve promised me hacking of limbs and buckets of blood and it delivered. Other than the camp factor, this is a fairly straightforward revenge film. There are a couple of nice touches, like the subtitles which go so far as to explain slang terms, signposts, and pertinent historical details and the soundtrack, which most people will be familiar with after seeing Kill Bill. Apparently, Tarantino is a fan. I like it enough to queue up the next two films but I'm not in a rush to move them to the top.

Tomorrow I should be getting The Scarlet Pimpernel in the mail. I know you're as excited as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment