Sunday, October 3, 2010

Kung Fu Panda (2008)

  My neighbor, Kim, gave me this DVD while she was cleaning out some old stuff.  I hadn't seen it since the theatrical release.  I remember being really disappointed that they had gotten this super-talented voice cast with Jackie Chan, Lucy Liu, and Angelina Jolie and then barely used them.  They had maybe three lines apiece.

Watching it again, I was prepared for that and, this time, I enjoyed the movie on its own merits.  Ian McShane was an absolute stand-out for me as the evil kitty.  I still would have liked to see more interaction between his snow leopard and Angelina's tiger.  (And that's not a euphemism.)  It would have been more symmetrical, I think, to have the two of them meet for longer than forty seconds to fight, considering that they both could relate to being child-figures to Cifu, the dormouse.

Also, and this is just a minor point:  They refer to the dormouse as Master Cifu, but, unless my knowledge of Asian martial arts films has failed me, Cifu is Mandarin for Master.  It's redundant, like saying Major Major.  Things like that bug me.

No comments:

Post a Comment