Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Ninth Gate (1999)



God, I haven't seen this movie in forever.  Long enough that I forgot who was in it.  Not Johnny, nooooo, I could never forget him....  (wistful sigh)

I'm talking about Frank Langella and Lena Olin.  Those are not generally people you forget in movies.  For some reason, they just didn't stand out very much in this movie.

I have seen at least four Roman Polanski films:  Rosemary's Baby which is a Halloween classic, The Fearless Vampire Hunters which bored me to death and took me three tries to sit through, Death and the Maiden /shudder, and this one which I didn't hate but I don't love.  From this I determine that I'm not really a fan of Polanski's work.  (I'm going to avoid any mention of the man's personal life and legal trouble because I don't think what you do for a living has any bearing on who you are as a person.)  I think some of his camera work is really stunning and his perspectives are interesting and differ so much from my own that it forces me to follow.  I like things that challenge my previously held point-of-view.  I have issues with the pacing of his films.  He has these huge lags where nothing very interesting is happening and that annoys me.

Also, character development.  Like, the green-eyed chick that follows Johnny around the entire movie.
  This one.

Who the fuck is she?  She doesn't even get a name in the credits!  Is she the devil?  Is she a witch?  No one knows.  She's just a freaky chick with awesome contacts.

This movie just seemed so half-assed.  It could have been awesome but settled for just mediocre.

No comments:

Post a Comment