Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Perfect Getaway (2009)

Hey, guys, guess what? This is my 200th post! Yay! 
  So this was the Christy pick for April.  Apparently, she was a little incensed that everyone else has been doing a "better" job of picking movies. I put better in quotes because that's not really the point of the Experiment but try telling her that.  Anyway, she pulled this one out and I have to admit, it's a better fit than most of her other ones. 

This was written and directed by David Twohy.  If that name sounds familiar you probably saw it at the beginning of Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick.  Bonus:  he also wrote the screenplay for Warlock.  I don't know if he's resting on his laurels or if the success has gotten to him, but my main problem with this movie was how smug it seemed.  There were all sorts of little hints and teases in the dialogue as though he didn't think you'd get the joke otherwise.  I find that annoying.

Other than beating you over the head with the "twist" this is a really fun little thriller.  The suspense doesn't come from the whodunit part so much, but from the action sequences which is where Twohy really excels.  Timothy Olyphant is fantastic (as always) but Kiele Sanchez (Lost and The Glades) really stole the show for me.  Milla Jovovich kind of phoned it in this time around.  This was also my first shot at seeing Chris Hemsworth act in something before Thor comes out.  He doesn't have much of a part but I guess he did okay.

So, yeah, it's not Agatha Christie but it's a fun little summer movie if you just want to see some violence and have a high threshold for bad dialogue.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't get the "hints and teases" when I saw it the first time...whore...not everyone has a bionic brain that analyzes EVERY.THING.IT.SEES.
    ....I'm just sayin

    ReplyDelete