Saturday, April 23, 2011

Four Brothers (2005)

  This was even better than I thought it would be.  Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything more than a generic action film.  I certainly wasn't expecting Chiwetel Ejiofor as the bad guy.  That was like getting to the bottom of the cereal box and finding that your prize is a lost Rembrandt.  I love him as a villain!  He has just the right amount of crazy combined with the creepy stare and low voice.  It's gold, man!

Oh, yeah, there were other people in this too.  Mark Wahlberg is playing ghetto again, Tyrese Gibson is a ladies' man (banging a smoking hot Sofia Vergara), Andre Benjamin is the one responsible member of society, and Garrett (TRON Legacy) Hedlund is a pot-smoking wannabe rocker.  These are the titular brothers, in town for revenge after their mom (Fionnula Flanagan, who I looove) gets shot.

Again, I would have been happy with a straight 'find the bad guy, kill the bad guy' plot but they take it up a notch with a couple of decent misdirects. 

The only bits that dragged the film down were the ones where the four main principals were interacting.  There was a lot of "dude-talk" which mostly consists of them expressing their grief by calling each other homo.  I was in the Army.  I know that's a fairly accurate depiction of how men spend their time in the absence of women, but it's really boring to watch. 

Other than that, the movie goes really quickly from shoot-out to car chase to shoot-out.  Much better than all that mushy crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment