Saturday, July 27, 2013

American Mary (2012)

http://iconsoffright.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/American-Mary-poster-e1350413675951.jpg  This was an impulse buy over the weekend.  My local FYE was having a huge sale to get rid of their stock before moving to a new location.  I had heard good things about this movie and it was less than $10 on blu-ray, so I figured what the hell.

I don't know that I would classify this as horror unless medical procedures just squick you right out.  While I have never personally known anyone who has had some of the more extensive body modifications available, I have at least been exposed to them.  Nothing in this movie came as a shock to me, which doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.

Medical student Mary Mason (Katherine Isabelle) is at the top of her class but struggling to keep her bills paid.  After her professor (David Lovgren) warns her about slipping, Mary heads to a seedy strip club to try and earn some extra money.  The owner (Antonio Cupo) doesn't need another dancer; he needs a surgeon for some off-the-books fixing of a beat-up employee.  He offers Mary $5000 in cash if she'll help him out.  Impressed with her work, one of the dancers with a Betty Boop fetish (Tristan Risk) contacts Mary on behalf of a friend with a problem.  Ruby Realgirl (Paula Lindberg) wants a particular procedure but has been turned down by all the reputable plastic surgeons. 

Thus, Mary begins her descent into the world of underground body modification.  Things don't go off the rails until she is targeted by the very people she longs to be one of. 

If you've seen an episode of Dexter, you've seen about as much gore as you'll see here.  Still, the Soska Twins have created something undeniably stylish, fun, and even sexy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment