Saturday, July 6, 2013

Dead Man on Campus (1998)

  This is not a movie I ever imagined I would watch.  I don't regard the 90's as a great decade and this movie practically bleeds grunge.  There was so much plaid I thought I was at a Canadian family reunion.  This was also the time period where Hollywood tried to convince us that Tom Everett Scott was a "thing".  

Strait-laced Josh (Tom Everett Scott) is at college on an academic scholarship, which means he has to keep at least a B+ average.  This proves difficult when his hard-partying roommate Cooper (Mark Paul Gosselaar) moves in.  With Josh about to lose his scholarship and the girl of his dreams (Poppy Montgomery) and Cooper facing work in his father's janitorial business, they decide their only course of action is an obscure college rule that says if your roommate commits suicide, you automatically get an A.  The unscrupulous pair scour the campus for the most depressed, suicidal sucker they can find.

Despite some very cute opening credits, I found the humor in this movie aimed more at silly than dark.  Better Off Dead it is not, but enjoyable enough if you like that sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment