Sunday, July 28, 2013

Dead Man Down (2012)

  I've never liked Colin Farrell as a leading man.  I think I've probably mentioned that before.  He's okay in smaller roles but I don't think he can anchor a film.

This is his best work to date, as far as I'm concerned.  This was the first time I've felt a sense of something other than pretty-boyness from him.  Maybe it's because he's balanced by Noomi Rapace, who is more than capable of carrying a scene with emotions when he can't. 

I feel like the trailers completely mislead me about this film.  In the original trailer and even in the disc description on Netflix, it makes it sound like Noomi Rapace is after Terrence Howard for what he did to her, when she's not. 

Victor (Colin Farrell) is a thug for mobster Alphonse (Terrence Howard).  His neighbor Beatrice (Noomi Rapace) reaches out to him for a date...so she can blackmail him into killing a man for her.  See, she took a cell phone video of Victor killing someone in his apartment and threatens to turn him into the police unless he takes out the drunk driver who scarred her face in a car accident.  Victor has his own problems, since he's been infiltrating Alphonse's gang in order to get his own revenge.  He really doesn't want to have to stop and take out some random other dude but she kind of has him over a barrel.

These are damaged, fragile people grasping at straws to try and bring some control and order back into their shattered lives.  It's dark and sad and beautiful in its violence.

This might have to be the very first Colin Farrell movie I ever buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment