Thursday, July 4, 2013

Pulp Fiction (1994)

http://didyouseethatone.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/pulp-fiction-2.jpg  I know, I know, it's practically a violation of the Geneva Conventions to have never seen this movie.  Sue me.  The way people talk about this thing, you'd think it was the start of a new religion.  Maybe it is.  The Church of Tarantino.  Hail, motherfuckers!

The movie is told as a series of interconnected non-linear vignettes basically revolving around a crime boss named Mr. Wallace (Ving Rhames).  Two of his henchmen, Jules (Samuel L. Jackson) and Vincent (John Travolta) are sent to retrieve a briefcase, but run into some difficulty.  Later, Vincent is called upon to take Mr. Wallace's wife Mia (Uma Thurman) out for a night, with some terrible consequences, while Butch (Bruce Willis), a low-level boxer, takes Wallace's money for a rigged fight, then runs.

It plays out just as luridly as the old serials it's named for, saturated with color and sleaze.  Initially, I was nonplussed but it grew on me over the course of the running time.  I thought it was better than Reservoir Dogs but not as good as Kill Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment